Labels

Sunday 17 March 2013

Polymer clay workshop

Today, I met Lina and Akram Al-Amoudi, two of the three siblings behind FK AD. All three of them took up arts and now they also work together. Isn't it cool when families collaborate like that? I remember when I interviewed Philippine sculptor Julie Lluch and her daughters and fellow artists Kiri (filmmaker - who I first knew in uni) and Aba (sculptor) for Herword.com. It was awe-inspiring to be in a table surrounded by pure talent.

And this afternoon, it was the tandem of Lina and Akram. They shared the basics of sculpting during the Mobius Design Studio polymer clay workshop (SIKKA 2013) – creating an armature out of wire and foil. They also showed us how to create a stand with wire that connects to your head's armature, a technique I have not seen before. It was a nifty trick that kept your head on a self standing base.

After we chose which character to work on from the pile of photos on the table, we started using  Sculpey's Original (terracota and white). There was a Buddha, Einstein, Grace Kelly, Charlie Chaplin, Yubaba and a lot of interesting characters being formed by creative hands. And while we worked, Lina and Akram went around showing techniques on creating eyes, nose and such. They referred to the photo each participant chose and commented on the works – what is missing, which should be added, etc. 

When I was almost at the point when I think my witchy head was done, I asked the age-old question – so when do you think it's done? And we had a little discussion on why that is always the question – sometimes you just feel like tinkering with your work on and on and as a result, it never ever gets finished. 

Akram suggested though that I pay particular attention to the texture and to experiment with it. The top part of my version of the Grand High Witch was smooth like a baby's bottom as opposed to the wrinkly face. The picture was also showing pot marks, maybe warts, and random strands of hair. It was a very good point, so before I sent Litte Miss Witch off to the pit, I gave her more worry lines, scratches, veins, pot marks, warts and maybe even boils. This exercise would be very helpful when I start working on the serious subjects in the same line as my very first sculpture (The Breadmaker).


The teachers, brother and sister tandem Lina and Sami Al-Amoudi from FK AD.

The tools and the polymer clay.

One of the works done by my fellow workshoppers - good sculpting work.

And some more pretty cool work done this afternoon. 
They had several photos piled up for references and this one  kinda landed beside me,
so I decided to do her – The Grand High Witch in Witches. 
And in the oven they go! Hi hi hi hiiiii! The oven is new, so they were not yet used to it.
Minor mishap - the clay works got burnt a bit. My witch's nose is black now. 

Akram, Preeti (who was also with me in the class the previous day at
the Animation Chamber) Lina and me.
Tomorrow we're going back to paint our creations. I'm really excited to attend this session. We can use air brush which I have never tried yet. They say it's the best to use for coloring clay.

But before I got there...
House 53! It was House 53. First, I went to 43, found out it wasn't there and for some reason thought it might be 23. Found 23 after a couple of missed turns then discovered it was not part of the fair and was closed. While looking for 33 (I knew it had a 3), I called my friend Malen and she checked the exact number for me which was 53!

It was 35 degrees (35... 53... hmmm) outside today - summer is officially here. So I was all red and sweaty when I finally found the workshop and within minutes, I was putting on my cardigan because the ac was blowing right at me!.

Well, there's nothing that can be done about it, so here's a big, jolly "Hello Summer"!

No comments: