Labels

Thursday 24 October 2013

Dubai Skyline

I have done a lot of Dubai skylines over the years as backgrounds for caricature artworks. It is, admittedly, a frequent request specially if the caricature is going to be given as a going away gift. Since I don't want my backgrounds looking the same, I vary it depending on the brief.

One of my recent clients (who ordered a superhero themed group caricature) wanted to get the feel of  a Superman poster she found online – the flying superhero is standing afloat a beige sky, cape waving around, behind him the vivid red of his insignia and underneath, the dark contrast of the city scape in black.

To catch the same look and feel, I made a silhouette of the famous or more familiar landmarks of Dubai (Burj Khalifa - currently the world's tallest tower, Burj Al Arab - Dubai's 7-star hotel, some of the older buildings along Sheik Zayed road like Emirates Twin Towers and Dusit Hotel, interspersed with traditional Arabic houses). But instead of black, I used brown to convey the feel of the UAE desert.

Creating a darker shade of  the poster sample background, I applied a stain filter and made a layer filled with random scratches to further get that vintage feel.

OrangeJar caricatures depend on the client's brief - most clients know what they want so it's nice to get some fun requests that I can play around with. Alas, I'm not allowed to post the whole thing, so here's a portion of the background I made for this group caricature project.



No comments: