Labels

Monday 26 October 2015

Filipiana art doll: Sisa

I had other plans but as inspirations go, this little gal just wanted to be made. I found my reference easily - person to model her face on, don't ask me who, just one of my friends. My dolls do not necessarily look like my references. I read before that it's always a good idea to have a reference so that's what I aim for when I work. I finished her quite quickly and it was a great learning experience.

I'll call her Sisa. Sisa in Philippine culture is almost always equated with a crazy woman. This is because a character by that name in Noli Me Tangere (Touch Me Not), a book written by the Philippine national hero Jose Rizal - spoiler alert - went crazy when her sons went missing.

So crazy long hair, Spanish era clothes, and I hereby dub thee Sisa. Sisa is different and a definite experiment. Firstly, she is smaller, about 9-10 inches tall. She is only semi posable, you can make her stand and sit but her arms do not bend. I'm also still experimenting with the fabric I find here for costuming.

Filipina hair usually flow straight and with the style back then when women wore panetas or combs, the middle part usually lies flat, so that's one thing I have to watch out for when putting hair on my dolls. Right now, with the way her hair is glued on, she has a very modern bounce at the top of her head.

The one thing I'm proud of here is her costume - it can be removed! I was able to make removable clothes and not all glued on like with most art dolls. So if I ever get the urge to make her new clothes, she will be like a regular doll you can dress up. And I do need to give her a new panuelo (the scarf on her shoulders), those polka dots are too big for her.



The biggest lesson for me here is if I want to be able to dress them up, I need to learn how to make clothes. I was barely able to figure out the relationship between the sleeves and the main part of the top for this doll. So I'm trying to learn as fast as I can.

In case you're interested, I have posted links to costume tutorials I found very helpful on my Pinterest board. I have tons of pins on sculpting too.

Alright, with Sisa all done - or almost done, I am craving to make a bigger doll. I might try 16 inches next. I'm like Goldilocks right now, trying to find which size fits me best. 

No comments: